Thursday, September 19, 2013

Virginia is for Lovers

I haven't really blogged in like 7 weeks.
I have good reason for that because life has been BUSY.
and GREAT
and DIFFICULT
and EXPENSIVE
and FUN
and TIRING
and EXCITING

Major Happenings:
1. Working part time as a nanny to two adorable pains in my ass (who I love and who love me somehow even after putting them in time out).
2. Taking Statistics at the community college since it's a requirement for PharmD
3. *drum roll* I got an interview for VCU School of Pharmacy!! This Saturday, the 21st.

Not so major happenings:
1. So we spent all of August doing a primal/paleo diet (no bread, rice, beans, pasta, chips, processed foods, etc) and we really stuck to it like 90%. Wesley lost a few lbs (don't know where they came from since he's pretty skinny already) and so did I. But, that wasn't really the point since we're both aren't overweight at all. I think I felt more of a difference than he did. My allergies were more bearable, as well as my back pain. But, for September we brought all the prohibited stuff back in since it's easier and less expensive. But, I'm still gonna try to limit my intake since I definitely have been more uncomfortable this month. lol.

I had Statistics class today and we don't really have tests besides the midterm and final. So, instead we have "projects," which are kind of like a take-home test. I got my first one today and it didn't seem too bad. I'm not worried about this class in general.
There's this one woman in my class who is in her 40s and has a strong eastern european accent. I applaud her for going to school and taking a mathematics class in a language that she has definitely not mastered. At the same time, she slows the class down occasionally, which is annoying to everyone including the teacher (even though he tries not to show it). But, I'm sure I'd slow down a class if I was taking Statistics in a Spanish-speaking country.

The family I nanny for has been a really good fit so far. It's a lot of work; but, it's definitely rewarding by having a hand in making the kids' childhood great. It's not a bad way to make money.
The dad is an attorney (partner at his firm) who comes from old Virginia money. The mom works in the coal industry, I believe, as a client/investor relations executive or something. Still don't know the details on that.
Hue (short for Huestis Pratt Cook IV...), age 5, just started kindergarten at a private all-boys episcopal K-12 school that kind of reminds me of Lake Highland (where I went to high-school) if it were all-boys. Addie (short for Addison Louise), 3, is in preschool. They are beautiful, creative, curious, sweet little balls of energy that really keep me on my toes.  Hue is at that age where everything warrants five or six questions. What is that? How does it work? Why??? What's the difference between Dragonflies and flies?

Save The Dates are out and the wedding is really coming together. I can't believe we're at the 6 month mark already. Feels like we just got engaged. You never know how much goes into a wedding until you're trying to put one together. It's insane.
Living together has been pretty awesome. People ask how it's going and expects us to be so sick of each other something. I'm sure it'll happen at some point. But, for now, it's a breeze. The biggest issue we've had is the fact that I forget to clean out the tea pot after I use it.
That and trying to stick to a budget, of course.
SAVING MONEY IS HARD!
My grandparents sent me $20 in the mail out of the goodness of their hearts and I felt a little guilty using it to buy a pair of shorts at H&M as opposed to saving it for later. haha.

The other night, Wesley and I were talking about how despite our budget struggles, we're actually doing really well compared to a lot of people our age.
1. We both have jobs. (Yeah, I'd make more money full-time, but then I wouldn't be able to handle class and wedding stuff)
2. We are able to be "in the black" at the end of each month so far, even if it's just by a very small amount.
3. We can afford to have a nice sized apartment in a good area.

We also are just so blessed to have our parents/family. I mean, my parents are paying for like 90% of the wedding. If Wesley and I had to pay for the wedding, we'd be going to city hall (which would suck). My parents still pay for my car insurance, health insurance and phone bill. I really should be kissing their feet and claiming that I'm unworthy (Wayne's World style).

I'm gonna try to make more youtube videos. I got very good feedback from my most recent one. It's funny to me because I wasn't even sure if it was good enough to post. I showed it to Wesley and my Mom before making it public.



Well, I'd write more, but I have to pick up Addie and Hue from school.

No comments:

Post a Comment