Sunday, May 26, 2013

Cry. Hurt. Laugh. Sing.

My new EP is officially coming out on June 4th!
And it will be called the "Cry. Hurt. Laugh. Sing." EP.
The name is taken from some lyrics in the song "Dangerous Things."
I like how it encompasses a lot of different feelings and kinda expresses the diversity of the songs on the EP.

Tracklisting:
1. Firefly (A pop/rock-ish tune about wanting someone you can't have)
2. Mysterious (a jazzy song about being intrigued by someone)
3. Not What I Need (an epic, atmospheric, folky ballad about settling in your relationship)
4. Dangerous Things (a bluesy pop song about the rollercoaster of emotions you experience while falling for someone)
5. Slow Poison (a straightforward, chill pop ditty about a somewhat toxic relationship)

When you listen to my last EP (self-titled and released in August 2011), you can tell it's very glossy and smooth. The production is very radio-ready. This new EP is less glossy and more on the raw side. I'm highly impressed by the quality of recordings I got, considering this EP was free for me. I feel very blessed to have met the people who worked on this project. They put a lot of hard work into it and I wasn't even compensating them.
I'm happy that it's coming out on my mom's birthday too. It's kinda a way to recognize her support of my music, I guess.

Yesterday, I filmed the music video for "Melody."
It went very well. Joshua Lockhart, the videographer, was very easy to work with and I think he'll make something really awesome. I recommend him.
We filmed in this alleyway with a lot of cool brick walls.
I got my hair and makeup professionally done, too.
For the "Not What I Need" video, I did my hair/makeup myself and I was very proud of the result.
But I felt that Melody needed something extra.
My hair was all teased and softly curled at the ends. It looked a little 1960s.
My hair was pretty big and full of secrets.
I also wore my "crazy pants." (A pair of Roberto Cavalli skinny jeans I got from China on Ebay. They include leopard print, colorful paint splatter, floral print, AND a colorful optical illusion-ish print.)
Josh and I joked that I should create a record label called Crazy Pants Records. Love it.

We started filming around 3pm. Around 5pm, When I was trying to get up to this platform area (while wearing 5 inch heels), I tripped and hit my head really hard on the brick steps. I felt fine, just a little disoriented with a scratched up arm. So, we continued to film.
Later that night, around 11:30ish, I started to have a horrible headache and feel nauseous.
After a few hours of progressively getting worse and being too afraid to fall asleep (you're not supposed to if you have a concussion), I decided to go to the ER (after calling and waking up my parents in the middle of the night to get their opinion).
I arrived at 2:30am and got a CAT Scan. The scan turned out to be clear, thank goodness. The doctor said I got a mild concussion and the symptoms were late onset. But, I should be completely fine. They gave me a prescription for anti-nausea meds and pain meds. I finally got back home and into bed by 4:45am.
So, I probably freaked out my parents for not big reason.
I also texted Wesley all about it as it was happening, but he was asleep so he didn't get them until the morning. I bet he was surprised that he had like 6 texts from me when he woke up.

Definitely gonna be taking it easy for the next couple days.

I filled those prescriptions today.
I woke up and still had a bad headache, but it wasn't as horrible as last night.
I took a pain pill and it definitely helped. I also feel slightly loopy. Like I took a tequila shot or two.

So, my Sunday night has so far consisted of eating dinner and listening to Eisley's new album while high on Tramadol.
Side note: Eisley's new album "Currents" is a gorgeous piece of art. It's streaming for free on Pandora right now and comes out on iTunes this Tuesday. Being the uber-fan that I am, I pre-ordered the deluxe edition weeks ago.

It's so cool how music can trigger memories.
the other day, my iTunes was on shuffle and Regina Spektor's cover of "Real Love" by John Lennon came on. I was immediately transported to freshman year of college. Fall 2008.
I first heard that song when I was feeling crazy home-sick halfway through my first semester of college.
I was also missing Wesley something fierce.
The song came on and I listened to it on repeat while crying, alone in my dorm room.
Magical.

Well, I'm gonna watch a ton of Parks & Recreation and go to sleep early.
Tramadol also makes you hella tired.




No comments:

Post a Comment