Monday, January 28, 2013

My Hair Adventures

I'm a natural blonde.
And I've been dying my hair to make it even lighter since around 9th grade.
So, everyone in my whole life knows me as a blonde.
And for years, I've wanted to change it.
Why?
Not because I thought I looked bad with blonde hair. I look good. :P
It just gets boring looking the same all the time, you know?
I'm an artist, and I wanted my hair to be another form of expression.

My All-Blonde Days

Blondie Baby: Here I am, about 2 years old (right). 

 Age 15. Golden blonde, with darker "lowlights." Really close to
what my natural color was at the time. (October 2005)
.
Age 20, very light. (Summer 2010)

Age 22, practically white. (September 2012)


Strangely enough, my hair has stayed in good condition. And I've never had to bleach my hair to get it platinum. In between the last two pictures, I decided to take a plunge into unfamiliar territory. 
June of 2011, I dyed my bangs and under-layer of my hair light PINK!
I was inspired by Sherri Dupree-Bemis of Eisley. 
My hair-muse.
I then took the pink out of my bangs, and made the underside darker.
Then went back to all blonde for my ill-fated medical school interviews.
Then two streaks on each side.
And then dyed the tips fuchsia after graduating.
I loved it. But, it took my parents a while to get used to the change.
A lot of my friends thought it was great. 
But many people (of all ages) didn't really understand why I would try to "fix" something that wasn't broken.
It doesn't have anything to do with trying to "fix" my hair or make myself look "better" than before.
It just has to do with the fact that it's fun and why the hell not?

Pink Timeline
Stripe-y bangzzz, June 2011

Saturated, August 2011

Pink-haired Homecoming Queen, November 2011
it faded a little darker and wine-colored, strangely.

April 2012, Streaked it up on each side after going back to all-blonde for a few months.

June 2012, Dip dye

In September 2012, I cut off the pink tips after it faded to a barely-there pastel.
Even throughout all this pink-sperimentation, what I really wanted to try was RED.
My close sorority sisters laughed at me sometimes because of my long-held obsession with gingery locks.
I even had a folder on my computer dedicated to red-hair inspiration. 
The things that held me back were:
1. The fact that red fades the fastest
2. Red is the hardest to pull off and find the right shade
3. I was deathly afraid of it looking bad. 
4. It would cost a shit-ton of money to do it professionally in a salon

But, after talking with my wonderful fiance, he said if I wanted to do it over Christmas break, he would pay for it as my Christmas/birthday gift. YAY. 

The Red Chapter

At the salon, December 2012

After! Turned out darker and browner than I wanted, but I was still really happy.
It faded really nicely.

Taken last week. :)

New Hair Goals
-Get back to light blonde by May without frying my hair
-try some darker blonde shades along the way
-try pastel pink all-over someday

Thanks for listening to me ramble about something most people find boring.








No comments:

Post a Comment