Monday, March 11, 2013

Tales of the studio

Saturday I spent a few hours in a studio on the MTSU campus for my new EP.
Guitars were tracked. The guitarist, Matt, was great.
We were doing "Firefly" first and I felt bad because it was probably the hardest song to play on the record ("Not What I Need" being a close second).
Like I said to Matt "This song is a bitch...but, it's my bitch and I like it."

When we got to "Mysterious" next, I remembered how much I love the bass Taylor did for it.
Matt goes "you want fingers on this?" and I was very confused. Obviously he meant fingerpicking.
At the end, he was playing the hammer-on too aggressively.
So, Ryan (engineer) told him to play it like he was "kissing a baby."
We had a lot of fun and I got a lot of funny quotes from it.
The lights were on in the room where Matt was playing, and he was like "it's not mysterious enough in here."

Andrew brought a pizza to the studio before I arrived.
And when I got there, no one had eaten any of it yet but like 4-5 tiny black ants were walking around the counter near it. So, I ate a piece and moved the pizza over a little.
an hour or so later, we looked back and saw the counter covered in ants! AND they were all up in the pizza.
I was the only one to eat any of it. The rest of the pizza had gone to waste.
The ants took over and we couldn't figure out where they were getting inside.

Halfway through the time I was there, Andrew drove to Starbucks while we worked.
I was so funny once he came back with our drinks because everyone was so happy to have the drinks they made some sort of loud, satisfied noise at first sip. A choir of "mmmmm's".
Andrew and Ryan made "Broasts" instead of "Toasts" when drinking things....how bro of them.

I'm really happy with the way the music is turning out.
I've done a lot of recordings in the past where after it's done, I realize I am not happy at all with how it sounds or how it was mixed or how my voice didn't have the right reverb setting or whatever.
I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my music and it can be a good thing and a bad thing.
A good thing because it pushes me to create things that I'm really proud of,
But, a bad thing because it sometimes prevents me from finishing or liking a lot of songs/projects.
AND it adds to my occasional inferiority complex.
Even though this EP isn't going to have the glossy, professionally produced sound of my first EP I want it to be something that not only I can be proud of, but my family, friends, and my old bandmates as well.
I wish John and Russell could have played on these recordings, and I'm sure they feel that way too.
I hope they can still find aspects of what they brought to my songs in these new recordings. I developed my first full band sound for a lot of these songs with them before I moved to Nasville.

I can't wait to go back to Miami from the 17th-21st.
John's recital is on the 20th. I'll be on two songs that close the show.
"Looking Up" by Paramore  and "Not What I Need" by me!
Two very different songs! And I really have to step up my stage-presence game with the Paramore one.
upbeat pop-punk in 4/4 and then an acoustic power-ballad in 3/4.
I gotta figure out what to wear that's flattering but still comfortable for jumping around on stage.
No heels....:/
I am so excited to be reunited with my bandmates and to see my sorority sisters.
Since I'm going straight to Richmond to see Wesley (!!!) after Miami, I'll be packing for two totally different climates. I'm glad to be spending some time in a place where winter really isn't a thing.

I'm really enjoying certain aspects of my job right now.
There are other parts that aren't fun at all.
I guess it's that way with all jobs, really.
I love the people I work with, I love interacting with customers, and I really believe in the products I market.
But, I really dislike not knowing my work schedule until a few days before.
And despite 8-hr solo shifts being the best way to make the most money (since you don't have to share commission), they are really really difficult for me for a couple reasons (ex. my back problems).
And the Sam's Club food is really hurting my girlish figure.
I'm still in Murfreesboro this rotation, on Whip It again.
But, I'm only working 2 days a week this week because of my trip coming up.
And I come back from Richmond a few days into next rotation.
So my check for this coming rotation will be a fraction of my last two.
But that's fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment